Wednesday, October 01, 2008

an eyeopener

 

 

 

 



It has taken me a minute to stop and process how crazy the weekend was. But now I am back in the office (yesterday I saw Gladys Knight at a Professional Business Women's Conference so I did'nt get much else done)and am in a reflective mood.
Birthdays are always a big deal for me and always have been. I think it has somethings to do with the fact that I am adopted and on every one of my birthdays I wonder if Maureen remembers me? I write to her in my journal every year with the hope that someday I find her and I can show her that yes, I did think of her. I have started to do that on my kids birthdays as well, sort of a way to include her in that special day since she can't be there. Sentimental I know but that is me.
Today was bittersweet for me. It was stressful at times and frustrating dealing with the car situation. I was so happy to see our friends come (cause let's face it, how many friends does a two year old have?) These people really care about us and our kids and can be counted on to support us and that means alot.I did'nt make the huge fuss that I usually try to do. We had food and the kids all played and I just decided to let them enjoy it. No rushing to do the presents, I let all the kids help him and then they all played with his toys. The theme was fun!
The bounce house was great! It saved the day for many reasons. One being financially, the other being at 9pm after we had been dealing with the car fiasco all evening, all 3 of the kids and I climbed in it and jumped and laughed and collapsed into a pile. It was a great way to end the day. Hearing my kids laughing and just enjoying being together (and the fact that they all slept through the night in their own beds cause they were too exhausted to move did not hurt either).
The eye opening part came when it was time to blow out the candles. I guess I thought of Isaiah as my little baby boy that needs help with everything and gets away with way too much cause "he doesnt understand yet". But as I watched him singing happy birthday to himself and then lean over and blow out his own candles on cue a light bulb went off and I realized HE GETS IT....He is not a baby. He is a little boy and he is going to be a spoiled rotten mama's boy if I don't start treating him like a you can do it yourself big kid.(Not that there is anything wrong with being a mommy's boy but others might not share that opinion) so some changes are being made at the Arrington house. The bottles are being rounded up. I say that in the present still going on tense because just like binkies, bottles mysteriously appear after you think they are all gone. The show up out from under the bed and behind the car seats and under the cushions. Everytime I think to myself, so that is where they went. I could not find them when I needed them and now that I want him to forget about them, tada...... So that is one change. The most exciting for me (so exciting that I wrapped it up and gave it to him as a birthday present) IS A POTTY CHAIR..Yes, cheesy and station wagon mommy-ish but I could not help myself. I figured that since he brings me his diapers in his hand and proudly says "I POOP" it was time. pretty exciting times huh.
I think so.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Blog Archive