Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Elijah and Baby Leighton

I decided that the best thing I could do to turn this day around was to go out and play with the kids in the club after school. So for the art project this week, I talked the staff in the art room into getting the kids to make get well soon cards for two really sick kids. Baby Leighton is at ACH born without the left side of his heart properly forming. He is making such progress and fighting to live and grow strong. And his mommy and daddy are also fighting to be positive and just love that little boy hard (and they are doing a good job)
And farther away is Elijah, who just went through stem cell harvesting and is getting ready for the (second) critical fight of his short 7 years of life. Cancer is such an ugly word to me. I can't do much but pray. and maybe encourage the 300 plus kids that come through the clubs doors after school to make homemade get well soon cards.
You never really know what it's like to be so helpless until you see a loved one (and even a complete stranger) go through something so heartbreaking. My stress over a car and a dryer and a sister I want to throttle are nothing compared to the fight to live. So pardon me for my bad day and my bad attitude and let me be the first to be there for you next time the hard time is yours.

No comments:

Blog Archive