Thursday, September 25, 2008

New book

Bastard Out of Carolina (Plume Essential Edition) Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book is kindof touching a nerve. Maybe because I am a Bastard Child that is looking for her birthmother. Or because I had a child out of wedlock. Or because I have a child and I co-parent her with a member of the same sex as me (Were not expecting that one were you! No one gets it really but it is the way it is). I feel sorry for the main character and her mothers need to find her a father to be listed on her birth certificate. She goes through several and the one she settles on is not that big a prize. Not done yet with the book so I will update when I am.


View all my reviews.

Kinda intense for a book review but like I said this one is touching a nerve. Which is the earmark of a good book for me. Something I can identify and relate or not relate to. I have never really been a big fan of the cookie cutter perfect family picture. The fact that I have a blended family can attest to that. And the fact that all of my children have people in their lives that are just theirs (they don't share the relationships with each other such as godmother,) hell, none of them have the same father even which is itself a whole nother pot of beans I don't feel like cooking right now. :) I guess my point is that you can create your own family. You can find new sisters or brothers, and parental figures and co-parents. You can step outside of the box and be creative and best of all you can do what is right for you.

No comments: