Thursday, September 11, 2008

I am now a registered voter

So I figured that since I am 30 and all, I could start voting (and since I am somewhat attempting to be interested in what is going on in the world of politics).
I have a ladies auxillary meeting today, so I was already dressing up and I decided to get my driver's license updated while I was at it. I waited in line at the DMV, which in itself is no fun, and they slowly called my name to go up to the front. She did'nt end up taking my picture ande just updated my address. Then she handed me my new license. I have been married long enough that I should be used to using my last name, but I am so proud of it and proud to be his wife that I do still get excited hearing his last name with my first. (Is that silly?)
Anyway, next it was time to move over to the computer where she asked me a series of questions and voila, I AM NOW A REGISTERED VOTER!!!! I thought it fitting that I do it on September 11.
On kindof the same subject (but kindof not), as I was driving this morning Jay and Brock were talking about 9/11 and about what they were doing 7 years ago. They started spouting off statistics about all the victims of the trade center disaster and they said that only 58% of the people had been identified. I was all caught up in the moment 7 years ago and I wholeheartedly agreed with Bush and the thought of "making the sob's pay" as I am a firm believer of natural consequences. But now, 7 years later it has turned out (in my opinion) to be a vendetta that in Bush's peoples terms "is not working". So now what? We have gone over there and killed people (innocent and not) including lost the lives of our own soldiers, turned several countries upside down, and worst of all divided our own country. I love where we live. I value the freedom and the individuality and the love for each other that I feel like is strong here. And I agree sometimes you have to defend that with force. So while I am pro-war, I think you have to choose your battles wisely, for there is no way to win them all. And I don't know if we did such a great job.
Anyway, this turned out to be waaay more political than I intended, I just wanted to report that I can vote now.

No comments: