Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Ultimate Indulgence

I am going to pause my "as of late" seemingly unending posts chock full of angst and turmoil and post on something I honestly love.

Have I told you that I love UFC. (if you ask me if that is wrestling i might just cuss you) I'm sure it says something of my character that I am obsessed with such a brutal and barbaric sport. But really all the reasons I love it are centered around the very valid fact that it is NOT brutal and barbaric.

I constantly find myself defending the love I have for following this underestimated and vastly misunderstood event. To me anyway, I am so enamored and impressed by the ability of one individual to train, and study their opposing fighter's nuances and technique, and then discipline himself to use nothing but his mind to outwit the other individual. Because I mean really, all sports are about overpowering,outwiting, BEATING, the other team right? Football, Baseball, Basketball...the do require talent and practice yes. But for me Ultimate fighting is so much more intense and personal. There is no team to hide behind or other player to fall back on. It's you and only you and even the smallest mistake could cost you your title. I have seen young men,old men, skinny mean, fat mean, most hated and overall fan favorite lose...or even more exciting is watching the underdog win. I don't know. can't explain it. it's just exciting and thrilling for me and I am hooked...

My favorites are random and ecclectic. I can usually pick a winner in the first 60 seconds of the fight (if it lasts that long) and really my only major turn off is a bad attitude. I can appreciate confidence but not cockiness..Here are some of my favs.



CAIN VELASQUEZ

LYOTO MACHIDA

MATT HUGHES (MY SECOND ALL TIME FAVORITE)

THIAGO SILVA

DAN HARDY (MY NEWEST LIKE)

HERB DEAN (MY FAVORITE REF)

I EVEN LIKE DANA WHITE (UFC PRESIDENT)
THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE THAT DON'T STOMACH DANA VERY MUCH. THEY CALL HIM COCKY AND ARROGANT AND YES, IN SOME WAYS HE IS BUT HE HAS BUILT UP THIS SPORT FROM LITTLE RULES AND NO EXPOSURE TO BEING SANCTIONED AND RESPECTED WITH A FAN BASE GROWING IN RECORD NUMBERS..I LIKE HIM FOR REASONS LIKE THIS


AND THEN THERE IS THIS MAN......MY ALL TIME FAV
RANDY COUTURE...SIGH

So, guess after having said all that I have to say that I just wish more people had an open mind and not be so dismissive. If people think that this is any more brutal than any of the sporting events like basketball or football games I don't even really try to persuade them otherwise. It is just something I enjoy and find impressive..and now I am gonna go enjoy my DVR full of fights....


post signature

No comments: